At ASM Metal Recycling, aluminium recycling is one of our most popular services. Thousands of tonnes of this unique metal pass through our doors each year.
If you want to earn money by recycling your aluminium - or to find an aluminium scrap price - then give us a call today.
What you need to know about recycling aluminium
Aluminium recycling is tremendously effective and beneficial to the environment. Indeed, it’s estimated that 90 million tonnes of CO2 are saved each year as a result of re-used aluminium.
It also requires 95 per cent less energy to recycle aluminium than it does to produce the metal from scratch – that’s a tremendous saving and one which can have a significant impact on the wider environment.
Unlike some other metals, aluminium doesn’t wear away in its lifetime. This means it can be continually recycled, potentially infinitely. Around 75 per cent of the one billion tonnes of aluminium produced in history is still being used in the world, much of it having been recycled many, many times over.
Even something as small as a recycled drink can generates the following:
- Enough energy to run a TV for up to three hours
- Avoids the equivalent of a 1 mile car journey in CO2 emissions
- Can be back on the shelf of a supermarket, ready to use, within 60 days of the date of recycling.
Click here to sell your scrap aluminium
How aluminium is actually recycled
The aluminium recycling process is fairly simple, and is as follows:
- The cans or tins are collected and taken to a treatment plant.
- Here, they are sorted and cleaned.
- The can is then melted down into molten aluminium, which removes any coatings and inks.
- This molten aluminium is set into large blocks called ingots, each of which contains around 1.6 million drink cans!
- The ingots are then sent to mills, where they get rolled out in order to give the aluminium flexibility and strength.
- This rolled-out aluminium is then made into cans, ready meal packaging, chocolate wrapping and a whole host of other products.
- And then the whole process starts again!
Get in touch today
Give ASM Metal Recycling a call to get the best aluminium scrap prices. We always offer our customers the most up-to-date prices, so get in touch today!
Link to our Scrap Metal index page.