Click here to sell your scrap copper
If you’re looking for scrap copper prices, or just to find out more about copper recycling, you’ve come to the right place. At ASM Metal Recycling, copper is one of the metals we recycle regularly.
Why recycle your copper with ASM?
- We’re fully accredited with the ISO 14001 and the ISO 9001, and we’re fully licensed by The Environment Agency. We pride ourselves on the green approach.
- We’re an approved CHAS (Contractors Health and Safety Scheme) provider, and all of our sites are registered and fully compliant with the Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013.
- We use only the latest processing technology when recycling both ferrous and non-ferrous metals.
Recycling used copper – what you need to know
Copper has been mined and recycled for thousands of years, since the days of the ancient Egyptians, no less. It continues to be popular today because it’s very hard-wearing and can be re-used a number of times.
What are the benefits of recycling copper?
- Mining for copper ‘at source’ can be harmful to the environment through the release of waste gasses such as sulphur dioxide. Recycling prevents this.
- If not recycled, copper might otherwise become landfill: a very expensive practice that’s also decidedly bad for the environment.
- There are substantial energy savings to be made. Recycling copper uses only 10 per cent of the energy used to extract the source material. This saving can help the conservation of reserves like oil, gas and coal.
- It’s cheaper to recycle old copper than to mine new material. Recycling means that copper products are cheaper to buy.
How is copper recycled?
Recycling copper involves a number of steps:
- First, the copper is separated into two main groups: clean unalloyed scrap and alloyed scrap containing oxidised or coated pieces.
- The clean scrap is melted down, and its purity level checked whilst molten. It’s then melted down into solid ingots.
- The contaminated scrap is also melted down, with a process called electrolysis used to purify it.
- The copper is then ready to be re-used.
Get in touch today!
To get a price for your copper recycling, give ASM Metal Recycling a call today on 01296 33 77 11,
or send an e-mail to info at asm-recycling dot co dot uk: we’ll be happy to help.
Link to our Scrap Metal index page.