Cash for scrap ban introduced in Scotland
Friday, 14 October 2016
On 1st September, regulations came into effect in Scotland banning the trading of scrap metal for cash. Metal dealers north of the border are no longer able to pay cash for scrap and will now be required to verify the identity of any seller.
The new legislation has been brought in alongside a Week of Action by a number of major bodies including the British Transport Police (BTP), Police Scotland and Trading Standards.
Robert Fell, chief executive, the British Metal Recycling Association (BMRA), said:
“As the trade body for many scrap metal yards in Scotland, the British Metals Recycling Association welcomes the cash ban and the enhanced identification requirements. We stand ready to support our colleagues in local authorities, BTP and Police Scotland as they enforce the Act from 1 September onwards.
“However, we would stress that to be truly effective, on-going enforcement will be crucial and we therefore seek assurance that the Act will continue to be a priority once the initial funding for Operation Scandium ends next year.”
A number of materials have been produced by the BMRA to help its members in Scotland understand the potential ramifications of the new law and to help raise awareness amongst customers, many of whom may not be aware that the legislation has been introduced. More information can be found on the BMRA website.
Though the regulations have only just come into effect, a similar law has been in place in England since 2013, when the Scrap Metal Dealers Act 1964 was change to make it illegal to pay cash for scrap metal. Regulations were changed to help cut down metal theft.
For more information on the UK’s current laws, you can check out our scrap metal for cash guide.
- All about aluminium recycling
- Guide to tyre recycling UK
- Can lead be recycled?
- WEEE Recycling Guide
- The World of Metal Recycling: The Facts
- Scrap metal for cash: the law
- Why is it better to recycle copper?
- How is the UK scrap metal industry today?
- What is a metal scrap yard?
- What is commercial waste?
- 4 top tips for businesses undergoing a site clearance
- How to classify the different types of waste your business produces
- Understanding Grades of Copper Scrap
- Metal recycling guide
- New gold recycling introduced to WEEE